Book Review :
A book review means describing, analysing about a book .If you want to write a book reviews then first you should become a good reader. A reader always writes a book reviews after reading the book. So, first try to get reading habit. If you are already a reader and don’t know how to write a book reviews.
Writing a book review is too much easy but if you are trying to write a professional book review then you have to use the following steps .
There are Six Steps :
- Name of the book
- Language it is published in.
- Summary of the book.
- The message you got from the book/moral learned/favorite part etc
- Background of the book
Now I will Briefly Explain those Six points or Steps :
Step 1 :
When you are going to write the name of the book, Don’t just write the name of the book, write a few sentences about what the title you thought and when you first time found the book to read.
Steps 2 :
Don’t just write the name of the author Mr. X of the Book XYZ . Always write an informative sentence about the author, like, “Born in America, Mr. X has written a lot of titles such as (write name other books he has written) and is also the one who penned down this book.
Steps 3 :
Always mentioned how many languages were translated and originally published in which language.
Now, this part is the main body of the review. You should write the review as you are narrating it to someone. Don’t getting review in two to three sentences , you must tell about the main events, twists, climax of the story. You should explain more on the characters of the plot. Try try to write a small paragraph, Do not write long paragraphs about the characters, but write enough to get to know how the character works and what is its significance. If the book portrays any particular location, you should be able to write the natural description, so that the place builds up in the mind of the reader. You can take help of the book itself for most of this part.
Steps 5 :
This is one of the most important part if you are writing the review for an exam for college . The teacher will mostly grade on this part of yours. Now, for this you must have read the book completely and and clear of the plot. Then, this would be easy for you to write a review .
Steps 6 :
Write something about the background of the book ,the genre of the book and how successful has the author been carrying this genre. Write about the character and how do they stand for. Try to make it long.
Mention Anything you dislike in the Book :
- Did you find it difficult to care about a main character, and could you work out why?
- Was the story too scary for your liking, or did it focus on a theme you didn’t find interesting?
- Did you wish the ending hadn’t been a cliffhanger because you found it frustrating?
In the conclusion you write what you have learned from the book, what makes the book beautiful and why you are writing reports ready review on this book.
Points to be keep in mind as you read the entire book:
- Does this book fit to write a reviews ?
- For what point of view is the book written by author.
- Do you agree or disagree with the poets point of view?
- Make note of important things when you reading a book.
- Write formal or informal as per the audience intended.
- Is author end conclusion or not the chapter if not don’t write conclusion.
- Are concepts well defined? Is the language clear and convincing? Are the ideas developed? What areas are covered, not covered?How accurate is the information?
- If there are foot notes, do they provide important information? Do they clarify or extend points made in the text?
- Is the book helpful for the audience or not??
- Is the book index accurate? What sources did the author use in the book — primary, secondary? Make note of important sentences.
- What did the book accomplish? Is more work needed? Compare the book to others by this author, or books in this field by other authors. (Use the books listed in the bibliography.)
How can I get better at writing book reviews?
- Don’t summarize: Save that for the book synopsis itself.
- Focus on your reaction to the book. Oftentimes, book reviewers write notes within the margins of their books. It helps to highlight and react to your favorite quotes. E-books make this really easy.
- Focus on reactions, not content: People connect through emotions and want to know whether you laughed, sobbed or yelled while reading the book.
- Practice, you will get better :start from short stories and then extend writing to lengthy novels.
- Observe and learn how book reviewer reviewing the book.
Who Can Write A Book Review?
Someone who read the book very carefully and thought about it. Who believes that he could write a review .
Tips For Writing A Book Review :
Make it personal : The review should reflect who you are as a person and what YOU really thought about the book.
Tips 2 :
- Organize your data : Divide it into 2 parts. Things you loved about it & things that could’ve been better so that you keep it crisp and to the point.
A good book review will essentially have the all elements:
- A blurb (an outline of the story)
- Brief description of the main characters (optional)
- Some info about author’s other works to give an understanding about how and what the author writes
- Some comparison with the other books in the genre to give a relatable understanding.
How does You become a good Reviewer ?
If you want to become a good reviewer then you should have the habit of book reading. Use following steps to become a good reviewer :
- Join Goodreads.
- Start a blog in blogger or word press.
- I will recommend you to getting a personal website on free hosting or paid hosting . It looks more professional. Write a few quality reviews on your blog.
After you have written a few quality reviews of some books on your blog, amazon, goodreads,,,
- Find poets or author on social media platform (like facebook, twitter, Pinterest) show them your demo work and see how much they can give you.
- Explore google.
What is the purpose of a Book Review?
A book review should clarify the main idea of the book, give the viewer some points of the author’s style, approach, or premises, and then offer an overall evaluation. The reviewer should tell the viewer what the book covers in a selective way. If you are the reviewer, don’t recap the entire book. And if it is a work of fiction that you are reviewing, certainly don’t spoil the ending or reveal any surprises.
Read Also :
- E MAIL WRITING : 10 SIMOLE STEPS TO WRITE A PROFESSIONAL E MAIL
- JOB APPLICATION LETTER
- SCREEN WRITING
- PARAGRAPH WRITING
- HOW TO WRITE A JOKE ??